So there it is. A few notes:
- I didn’t generally work on Sundays because I think you do need time off or your brain will turn to mush.
- I stopped for a few days at the end of November because it was my birthday and because there was some other stuff I was doing which had to take precedence.
- I don’t actually get the bulk of my writing done between two and three; the NaNoWriMo counter initially thought - more accurately - that it was mornings and midday, but then I did some longer stints and reported in later, which I think foxed it a bit.
- my practical working day is probably 9:30-3:30, with some leeway at the far end if I get someone else to pick up the kids, but in that time I also have to deal with any admin coming my way (of which there is, inevitably, a LOT) and exercise. And, you know, eat.
- this project is a LONG way from finished; I have a healthy chunk of narrative, a lot of great scenes and the core concept is strong. Now I need to go into it properly, shape it and continue the spine to the very end, then deliver on the opening bids. It won’t be hard, but it’ll take a couple more months, which is fine.
- I’m incredibly excited by what’s happening as I sit back and start to ponder how to shape the material I have. It’s getting weirder and better hour by hour.
- I still think NaNoWriMo is one of the most useful things out there for me (and possibly for you). It focuses the mind and gets you going, and gives you permission to bench other demands on your time for a crucial few hours a day.
Journalisifying my thinkadoodles for the posteriment of betterfication.
I know I should take inspiration and become more structured from reading this piece (which I DID enjoy), but instead I’m thinkin’: “Hey, my birthday is at the end of November!” Inorite.
Congrats! My NaNo got thoroughly derailed by a mid-month trip to Oslo, and now I'm shoveling so much coal to get there on time. My historical issue is not reaching 50K, but rather doing so in a healthy and consistent manner. Admiration is in order for those who do!